Play recording: A Mother’s Love’s a Blessing
view / hide recording details [+/-]
- Teideal (Title): A Mother’s Love’s a Blessing.
- Uimhir Chatalóige Ollscoil Washington (University of Washington Catalogue Number): 853916.
- Uimhir Chnuasach Bhéaloideas Éireann (National Folklore of Ireland Number): none.
- Uimhir Roud (Roud Number): none.
- Uimhir Laws (Laws Number): none.
- Uimhir Child (Child Number): none.
- Cnuasach (Collection): Joe Heaney Collection, University of Washington, Seattle.
- Teanga na Croímhíre (Core-Item Language): English.
- Catagóir (Category): song.
- Ainm an té a thug (Name of Informant): Joe Heaney.
- Ainm an té a thóg (Name of Collector): Lucy Simpson.
- Dáta an taifeadta (Recording Date): 26/08/1980.
- Suíomh an taifeadta (Recording Location): Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, New York, United States of America.
- Ocáid an taifeadta (Recording Occasion): private.
- Daoine eile a bhí i láthair (Others present): unavailable.
- Stádas chóipcheart an taifeadta (Recording copyright status): unavailable.
An Irish boy was leaving, leaving his native home
Crossing the broad Atlantic, once more he wished to roam;
And as he was leaving his mother, while walking o’er the tide
She threw her arms around his neck, and those were the words she said:
‘A mother’s love’s a blessing no matter where you roam;
Keep her while she’s living – you’ll miss her when she’s gone.
Love her as in childhood, though feeble, old and grey;
You’ll never miss a mother’s love ’til she’s buried beneath the clay.’
And as the years roll onward I settle down in life
And take a nice young Irish girl, and take her to be my wife.
And as the kids grow older and play around my knee
I’ll teach them the very same lesson that my mother taught to me.
Now! That’s all. Now, I know it’s not the type of song you sing, I know that. I couldn’t see you singing it but — somebody will!