Play recording: Woman Who Returned From the Dead, The
view / hide recording details [+/-]
- Teideal (Title): Woman Who Returned From the Dead, The.
- Uimhir Chatalóige Ollscoil Washington (University of Washington Catalogue Number): 840119.
- Uimhir Chnuasach Bhéaloideas Éireann (National Folklore of Ireland Number): none.
- Uimhir Roud (Roud Number): none.
- Uimhir Laws (Laws Number): none.
- Uimhir Child (Child Number): none.
- Cnuasach (Collection): Joe Heaney Collection, University of Washington, Seattle.
- Teanga na Croímhíre (Core-Item Language): English.
- Catagóir (Category): story.
- Ainm an té a thug (Name of Informant): Joe Heaney.
- Ainm an té a thóg (Name of Collector): unavailable.
- Dáta an taifeadta (Recording Date): 24/01/1984.
- Suíomh an taifeadta (Recording Location): University of Washington, United States of America.
- Ocáid an taifeadta (Recording Occasion): evening class.
- Daoine eile a bhí i láthair (Others present): unavailable.
- Stádas chóipcheart an taifeadta (Recording copyright status): unavailable.
If a woman fancies a man, there are a number of charms — or, as Joe calls them, ‘contraptions’ — that she can use to get him. One involves the woman giving the man something — perhaps a feather — in a cup of soup.
Joe knows one woman, perhaps the ugliest woman he ever saw, who fell in love with a very handsome man who passed her house every day. One day this woman’s mother, who lives with her, says that if she really wants that man, she should go out and keep and eye on their white gander. She should collect some of the white gander’s dung, and when it dries and turns powdery, she should put it in a saucepan along with the thing (Joe has no other word for it) that is inside the feather of a goose. This mixture should then be combined with some chicken soup.
When the soup is ready, they call the man inside and gave him some. He has only half the cup drunk when he falls down on his knees and professes undying love for the woman. They go off to the priest straightaway and get married —- they have to go right away, because the effect of the contraption won’t last forever.
Sure enough, two days later the man wakes up, looks at his new wife, and is never seen in the district again!