Play recording: Tá Sean-chat ag mo Mhamaí
view / hide recording details [+/-]
- Teideal (Title): Tá Sean-chat ag mo Mhamaí.
- Uimhir Chatalóige Ollscoil Washington (University of Washington Catalogue Number): 781504.
- Uimhir Chnuasach Bhéaloideas Éireann (National Folklore of Ireland Number): none.
- Uimhir Roud (Roud Number): none.
- Uimhir Laws (Laws Number): none.
- Uimhir Child (Child Number): none.
- Cnuasach (Collection): Joe Heaney Collection, University of Washington, Seattle.
- Teanga na Croímhíre (Core-Item Language): Irish.
- Catagóir (Category): song.
- Ainm an té a thug (Name of Informant): Joe Heaney.
- Ainm an té a thóg (Name of Collector): Esther Warkov.
- Dáta an taifeadta (Recording Date): 06/03/1978.
- Suíomh an taifeadta (Recording Location): University of Washington, United States of America.
- Ocáid an taifeadta (Recording Occasion): interview.
- Daoine eile a bhí i láthair (Others present): unavailable.
- Stádas chóipcheart an taifeadta (Recording copyright status): unavailable.
Tá sean-chat ag mo mhamaí nach bhfaighidh bás go deo
Le rógaireacht is ealaíní bhí a leithide beo
Tá féasóg ar a phuisíní dhá chroma nó níos mó
Agus ruball fada fíáin air ar nós kangaroo
Is ruball fada fíáin air ar nós kangaroo!
Well, now this is about the cat, you know, that he was a ferocious- We were told to keep away from cats when we were small, you know, in case the cats would… claw or anything. And this old cat was supposed to be so old that it was living in ancient times or something, and every time he got up, he looked like a kangaroo. He used to stand up and put his neck out – like that [demonstrating]. The length of a cat is supposed to be six feet when he’s properly stretched, you know. And this cat has whiskers that length, you know [demonstrating]. I’m after finding out, our cat – every cat in the village was referred to as that, too. Everybody had his own version of it, you know.
My mother has an old cat that will never die,
Living on mischief and craft;
There’s whiskers on his little face two finger-lengths or more,
and a long wild tail like a kangaroo
and a long wild tail like a kangaroo!
This was recorded while Joe was Artist in Residence at University of Washington.