Play recording: Man Who Outwitted the Pension Officer, The
view / hide recording details [+/-]
- Teideal (Title): Man Who Outwitted the Pension Officer, The.
- Uimhir Chatalóige Ollscoil Washington (University of Washington Catalogue Number): 850117.
- Uimhir Chnuasach Bhéaloideas Éireann (National Folklore of Ireland Number): none.
- Uimhir Roud (Roud Number): none.
- Uimhir Laws (Laws Number): none.
- Uimhir Child (Child Number): none.
- Cnuasach (Collection): Joe Heaney Collection, University of Washington, Seattle.
- Teanga na Croímhíre (Core-Item Language): English.
- Catagóir (Category): story.
- Ainm an té a thug (Name of Informant): Joe Heaney.
- Ainm an té a thóg (Name of Collector): James Cowdery.
- Dáta an taifeadta (Recording Date): between 1979 and 1981.
- Suíomh an taifeadta (Recording Location): Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut, United States of America.
- Ocáid an taifeadta (Recording Occasion): private.
- Daoine eile a bhí i láthair (Others present): unavailable.
- Stádas chóipcheart an taifeadta (Recording copyright status): unavailable.
A story about a man who lived in Joe’s village who manages – with the help of some friends – to get the pension by pretending to be blind. When the friends spot the Pension Officer coming to call on the man, they give a signal, whereupon the would-be pensioner leaps up, unbuttons his trousers, and begins pissing out the doorway, all the while shouting, ‘Muc amach, a dhiabhail! Muc amach, a dhiabhail!’ (‘Get out, pig! Get out pig!’) – all of which suggests that his sight is so bad that he has mistaken the visiting official for one of his livestock.
The Pension Officer is in no doubt that the man truly is blind, and awards him the full pension.