Play recording: Fionn Mac Cumhaill (5)
view / hide recording details [+/-]
- Teideal (Title): Fionn Mac Cumhaill (5).
- Uimhir Chatalóige Ollscoil Washington (University of Washington Catalogue Number): 841421.
- Uimhir Chnuasach Bhéaloideas Éireann (National Folklore of Ireland Number): none.
- Uimhir Roud (Roud Number): none.
- Uimhir Laws (Laws Number): none.
- Uimhir Child (Child Number): none.
- Cnuasach (Collection): Joe Heaney Collection, University of Washington, Seattle.
- Teanga na Croímhíre (Core-Item Language): English.
- Catagóir (Category): story.
- Ainm an té a thug (Name of Informant): Joe Heaney.
- Ainm an té a thóg (Name of Collector): Joan Rabinowitz.
- Dáta an taifeadta (Recording Date): unavailable.
- Suíomh an taifeadta (Recording Location): University of Washington, United States of America.
- Ocáid an taifeadta (Recording Occasion): KRAB Radio.
- Daoine eile a bhí i láthair (Others present): unavailable.
- Stádas chóipcheart an taifeadta (Recording copyright status): unavailable.
Fionn is born on the same day that his father is killed by the clan of Goll Mac Morna. To save her son from the same fate, Fionn’s mother throws him out the window into a river when he’s only six hours old. Later, going to the river to retrieve his body, she is astonished to see him emerge from the river with a salmon in each hand and one in his mouth. ‘You’ll do!’ she says.
Records give the recording date as 19th October 1984. But this is more likely to be the broadcast date as Joe Heaney died in May of that year.